The Lord’s Prayer
- The Lord’s Prayer
- The Lord’s Prayer as a set of petitions
- These Christian prayer warriors see the Lord’s Prayer as a series of headings or petitions.
- The Lord’s Prayer and praying in the spirit
- Many Christian prayer warriors will also tell you that the “secret sauce” they use is “tongues”. Romans 8.26-27
- [Yes; probably they won’t say “secret sauce”]
- Establish a relationship with God in prayer and worship
- As you get into the habit of doing this daily
- First and foremost humans are spiritual beings with a soul (personality)
- Praying and communicating with God is predominantly done spirit to spirit
- Jesus told the Samaritan woman at the well Jacob had given to his son Joseph, “But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” John 5
- Certainly, this would also include prayer
In this article, I first run through the Lord’s Prayer and hearing from God.
[When I use the title God, I’m referring to Jesus, His Father, and the Holy Spirit]
Secondly, I discuss praying in tongues and some personal experiences that were a direct result of and entwined in my prayer activities.
Get a hook-up with God
When you pray each day you draw closer to God and you can hear him more clearly (you just know that you know that it’s true). There is definitely an extra dimension that’s working in and around you that will fade out if you let it.
It’s similar to hearing with your physical ears. You can’t communicate very well with someone, for example, if they are on the other side of a noisy highway. Modern life tends to be a lot like a noisy highway, especially when most of us have cell phones of the normal kind, which aren’t connected to God.
What you need is a spiritual cell phone. You can build it easily and enjoy using it by following what I’m about to share with you.
Hearing God’s voice should be normal for every Christian. After all, Jesus said plainly, “My sheep hear my voice” (John 10.27).
First, you need to set aside an hour in your mornings. Once you make a connection with God, you can keep it open all day if you’re careful.
This is very much like a daily exercise for your spirit. Humans on Earth are spirit beings that have a soul (personality) and live in a body. Daily prayer, tunes up your spirit, the real you, and puts the real you in charge.
Second, you need a prayer closet, where you won’t be disturbed or distracted. After that, you can come out of the closet, loud and proud.
Personally, I’ve found that sitting in a comfortable chair, eyes closed, alone with God, to have produced the most intimate and effective of prayer times.
If getting on your knees is your thing; go for it. I prefer to have as few distractions, from physical sensation, as possible.
* Important: reading the Bible beforehand will tune you into the Holy Spirit, similar to tuning a radio.
Going for a walk is also very effective. After a while, your body warms up and you become comfortable. You’re alone and there is nothing, and no one to distract you (and for goodness sake keep your plastic cell phone turned off if you can’t bring yourself to leave it behind).
This is what I have done the most. I would break up my morning jog with intervals of prayer. ( In the wintertime, I’d begin before sunrise – cold, dark, and lonely at first, but warm and fired up in the sunshine, by the end; spiritually and physically)
Tuning in, to God’s voice
At present, until things get back to normal, I have plenty of time to pray and read the Bible before my daily exercise. Reading the Bible helps me tune in to God.
The Template – The Lord’s Prayer
Treat each line as a heading under which you insert your prayers
The pattern you can use is to speak in your understanding, and then a longer period of time in tongues while having faith that what you are praying is relevant (and makes sense to God)
I once asked God “How did that come about ?” (I had done something major); God’s reply came quickly and clearly, “You prayed for it.” Wait a minute I thought, I was praying for somebody else. And then it dawned on me: most of the time I had been praying in tongues.
More on tongues further down.
The Lord’s Prayer Matthew 6:9-15 My Version
Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy name
You can run through the different names of God, praising each one. Remember the Lord’s prayer is in seven parts so don’t spend too long on this first part (It’s up to you of course)
- Adoni – almighty God and Master
- Elohim – God who creates, my creator
- Elshadai – My supply
- Jehovah Tsidkanu – my righteousness given to me as a gift via Jesus’ blood
- Jehovah Macadesh – The Lord who sanctifies: has sanctified/ separated me from the curse of the law and from the kingdom of darkness through the blood of Jesus Christ
- Jehovah Shamah – The overflowing ever-present Holy Spirit sent to us by Jesus
- Jehovah Shalom – The peace that comes from the comforting presence of the Holy Spirit
- Jehovah Rophe – The lord who heals all sickness and forgives all sin (Psalm 103)
- Jehovah Jireh – God will provide; as He did with Abraham and Isaac (Genisis 22)
- Jehovah Rohi – The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want… (Psalm 23)
- Jehovah Nissi – The Lord my banner, God has transformed me into a light that shines in the darkness
- Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
- Matthew 5:16
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth, as it is in heaven
Here you can pray for your family, your future, the culture, and politics, etc.
Tell God about the day ahead; your concerns what you hope, etc. Ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit. Say good morning to the Holy Spirit (Benny Hinn)
Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16.3
Give us this day our daily bread
Jesus said to seek first the kingdom of God and your needs will be added to you. Matthew 6. 33
If God seems a little reluctant, go the ASK route (Matthew 7.7-12)
- Knocking (bang bang bang, “Hello, God, I’m trying to be persistent here; like Jesus said.”)
Jesus’ advice, Luke 11.5-13;
A Friend Comes at Midnight
And He said to them, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’? I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.
Forgive me for all my sins,
As I forgive all those who sin against me
Take time over this to start each day with a clean slate. You should usually only need to think about the day before.
Lead me not int into temptation,
But deliver me from the evil one, and from evil
The temptation Jesus refers to here. I believe, is not so much the sickly sweet stuff that everybody knows is wrong (although these days the enemy is pushing to blur what is right or wrong – such evil!), it refers more to how you react, For instance, you may be tempted to lose your temper, or to treat someone deceitfully because you think they deserve it or let fly with harsh words when a reasoned and calm response would have been better.
A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. (Proverbs 15.1)
Proverbs 15 lists many of the “lead-me-not temptations” Jesus was referring to.
But deliver me from the evil one, and from evil
Evil includes sickness and hardship – especially money problems.
Remember, whatever goes around also comes around, so don’t be tempted to do the wrong thing by anybody.
Jesus’ words “Give and it will be given unto you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and overflowing” can also happen in the negative sense. (Luke 6,38)
Cover yourself with the blood of Jesus, and put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6)
Then stand and decree that if any unclean spirit attempts to interfere with you in the day ahead, that that spirit should be bound and cast into the ocean by angels.
For very serious problems you need to pray in agreement with someone else. Many agree, and scripture seems to back the notion that two praying together increases the effectiveness of prayer twenty-fold (Leviticus 26.8). This is why the restrictions on church gatherings are obviously the work of the devil. Typically pompous rules and regulations have nothing to do with what they purport to be about.
Finish up with praise and worship: For Yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever and ever. In Jesus’ name amen
Praise God that you are a participant in all of this, and how you have been translated from the kingdom of darkness into God’s kingdom of life, light, and love. Ask Him to help you walk in a way that is worthy.
Then invite the Holy Spirit along for the day.
More on the names of God
I first came across the above style of prayer listening to a 12 part series called “The hearing Ear” by Larry Lee (from Texas). His teaching introduced me to the different names of Jehovah. Then Benny Hinn’s teaching introduced me to three more. (My goodness!)
Although not exhaustive the following video gives a good introduction to the significance of knowing and praising the names of God. (He has lots of names; He’s bigger than you thought)
[At the end of the program there are product promotions and a call for financial contributions. These have nothing to do with me, I added this video as an afterthought. There is a better one but I couldn’t find it on YouTube (It was recorded around 1992). Feel free to give or buy, God will bless you for it.]
He talks significantly about the flesh dying. For Christians, this happens when we become “born again”.
Praying in tongues
Alternating between tongues and understanding
By alternating between your pray language (praying in tongues, which sounds like gibberish) and understanding, you will fill the hour in no time.
Praying in tongues is very effective because it’s the Holy Spirit making intercession for you with groanings that cannot be uttered in your understanding (Romans 8.26).
Jump in the deep-end praying in tongues
- If you don’t what to pray
- Don’t know how to approach a delicate subject
- If you need a really great plan of attack
- If you need to unlock a mystery
- If you need God’s provision but don’t know where He put it (The ravens were waiting for Elijah1. Kings 17.4 )
Of course, there are other forms of tongues concerning corporate prayer – praying at church (see 1 Corinthians 14).
Baptized in the Holy Spirit
To pray in tongues (your Holy Spirit prayer language), you need to have been baptized in the Holy Spirit in much the same way as Peter and Co at the beginning of Acts. Usually less dramatic.
If the pastor you have is not inclined to do this, then you need to find one who is.
The 3 baptisms
- Repentance: born again
- Fire: baptism of the Holy Spirit
- Water: death to your old self
Hearing the voice of God “My sheep hear my voice” | John 10.27
Praying as described each day will tune you into God’s voice and you will hear Him much more often. God speaks almost always in a voice that is not audible. Some say he is speaking to us all the time.
Mostly, you will hear Him speak as you read the Bible. What God says to you will never ever contradict what the Bible says. So, the better you know the Bible the safer you are.
Hearing an audible voice twice, and a vision
- The first time this happened, it had me turning around to find out who had spoken to me. What God said referred to what was about to happen, right there, and what would happen in a couple of months.
- The second time I’m not so sure because I was almost asleep. It was one word shouted at me and had me bolt upright off the pillow in alarm.
- There was a third communication that was most unusual. I was out on the road exercising and praying when I had a vision.
- What I could see was very vivid and calamitous. It was a warning, but I dismissed it as interference from the enemy. What I saw in the vision happened later that day exactly as I had seen it. I could have avoided a lot of trouble had I heeded the warning. In fact, just now that I think back on this, there were at least two visions before that time – they were about the same impending disaster.
The general style of effective prayer
As you establish this daily prayer routine have scriptures you can quote by heart and then pray in tongues.
Quote a scripture, apply it to your life and what you know, and then spend time praying in tongues and trusting the Holy Spirit to pray what is necessary through your mouth, with groanings that you do not know how to verbalize.
When praying in your understanding; speak clearly, unwaveringly, fluently, confidently, and above all fervently; for the fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. Remember you have been given the gift of righteousness.
Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. James 5.16
When God speaks it’s often an interruption
Listen with confidence and expectation as you would with anyone you have spoken to. God is more faithful than any human and He has promised that His sheep can hear his voice, so you can’t say you have a hearing problem.
Forcing yourself to hear God’s voice is a bit silly. It’s like an orange tree trying to pop out an orange with lots of grunting.
God’s voice is often like an interruption while you’re,
- Reading the Bible or praying
- Watching TV or reading
- Alone with your work, or by yourself somewhere
- Driving your car
- Something unusual happens
But it doesn’t happen much if you aren’t reading the Bible and praying every day.
Throughout the day
The beauty of having this template is that it makes it possible for you to pray while you’re doing something else. A friend of mine likes to pray while he is mowing the lawn.
Once after promising to come and pray for an 84-year-old woman, I prayed for 2 hours while I worked (mostly in tongues – working in my father’s pie shop) to power myself up for a Holy Spirit healing.
After that I went home and prayed for another hour in my bedroom before going to see this woman who had not stood up straight for years, She Had a walking frame, and felt she was going to die.
I didn’t ever consider the enormity of what I was about (I had had some success in the past but nothing as big as this woman’s problem) until I was three steps away from her front door. I faltered momentarily.
To cut a long story short, she stood up straight for the first time I had ever seen, and within a month she no longer needed the walking frame.
She and her twin sister started attending our church and quickly became celebrities.
Reading the Bible
Reading the Bible is like looking at this picture:
Reading the Bible for many is like not seeing the forest for the trees. You need to understand what the Bible is all about before you enter.
- All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- Doctrine = teaching or instruction
- Teaching + reproof + correction + instruction in righteousness = wisdom
- The Bible is a great big story full of smaller stories, poems, and letters, that impart wisdom
- Jesus on Earth was the fulfillment of what Christians call “The Old Testament”
- Reading the Bible takes you on a journey along the path of true wisdom that leads to Jesus.
- “The Bible is mostly for wisdom, not answers or rules, but wisdom about what God did in history to save a people.” (Tim Mackie – “The Bible Project”).
- God saves people by bringing them to the end of themselves where they realize; that the only hope they have is the gift of salvation won for them. at great pain and suffering, by God himself. That is,… Jesus.
- Only Jesus could have managed it.
- The Bible is an exciting lifetime of discovery and learning.
Bear in mind that God is not always on “your side”
The Fall of Jericho
Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, “Are you for us or for our enemies?”
“Neither,” he replied, “but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.” Then Joshua fell facedown to the ground in reverence, and asked him, “What message does my Lord have for his servant?” (Joshua 5.13,14. NIV)
God loves all of humanity and will always answer your petitions in this context. In the above situation with Joshua, God was following through on his promise to Abraham. Genesis 17.8 From Abraham’s promised descendants would eventually come Jesus the savior of all who would believe in Him and join Him. John 3.16
God can also use people who are not Christians to help you, similar to the way God used Rahab to cover for the spies Joshua had sent to Shittim. Joshua 2
Where did the Bible come from
It is fruitful to know how the Bible you have, came to be. It didn’t just float down from Heaven.
Before Moses for example, writing anything down was impossible. Prior to the time of Moses, there was no Hebrew alphabet.
Making of the Bible [Extended Version] Tim Mackie (The Bible Project)
First and foremost, in my opinion, is that the purpose of prayer is to connect with God. the fist and last lines of the Lord’s prayer are praises to God, We make a connection at the beginning and then we keep that connection open at the end.
I’m always trying out new and different things in order to hear God more clearly and regularly. In 1 Corinthians 2.16, the apostle Paul reminds us that we have the mind of Christ. I imagine he means through the Holy Spirit. While I can’t speak for anybody else I imagine that like me everyone every day is continually coming to situations where a decision has to be made. Some more difficult than others. It’s these difficult decisions where I consider the mind of Christ to come in very handy.
This is especially true when I need something and feel that I need God’s help to get it. It’s at times like these that I especially would like God to speak to me plainly in an audible voice. He never does of course. Probably something to do with having faith.
One thing that never seems to fail is applying the principle put forward in Proverbs 16.3.
Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.
Remember to pray for others
We all tend to think of ourselves first, but remember a common thread in the Bible is that God is more than happy to help you in the way you help others. When Abraham obediently offered God the life of his only son, God stopped him, but the gesture was good enough for God to give His only Son.
Notice how the Lord’s prayer in our Bibles uses the pronoun “us”. You should probably devote half of your prayers to other people.
The discipline and commitment required are well worth it. To begin with, it will be a bit difficult and slow, much like trying to get physically fit. At first, you may only be spending 15 minutes on this, but at least it’s a start.
Remember to spend some time reading the Bible before you begin, to get you in the right frame of mind.
Also, the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, Psalms 111.10, so don’t go banging on God’s door too loudly, but go to God boldly all the same.
Every Christian Has a Great Story
Tell us your story. Have you heard God speak to you? Share it with us. Such stories are good for people’s faith.
Your comments and questions are welcome below. I promise I’ll get back to you. God bless you!
All the best and Godspeed.
This woman is an expert prophet and really good at speaking in tongues
And she backs up what I have written
Touch of Heaven – David Funk | Worship Night
If the Holy Spirit is inviting you to become born again pray the following:
- Jesus, I believe you were put to death for my sins so that I have the opportunity to escape the consequences of the judgment of “guilty” and sentence of death (separated for eternity)
- Jesus, I believe you died and rose again from the dead, as it says in the Bible
- Jesus, I confess that I am a sinner and I need to be born again
- Jesus, please forgive me and come into my life
- Jesus, I pledge allegiance to you, and I give my heart to you
- Jesus, I pray this earnestly in your holy name
I recently wrote an article about God in America. To see it click on the link below.Is God in America? What’s happening fa God’s sake?
President Trump attends the International Church of Las Vegas service in Nevada
Work From Home
Build an online business and work from home by joining the friendly people at Wealthy Affiliate.Wealthy Affiliate Review